No Halloween is complete without a scary pumpkin in the window to greet trick or treaters. Make your own Star Wars pumpkin with these handy printout designs and easy steps below.
What You Need:
- The pumpkin
- A sharp knife and X-Acto knife
- Printer and paper
- Pushpins or small nails
- Ice pick (optional)
- Pumpkin carving kit (optional)
- Washable marker
- Tea light candle, glow-stick or mini flashlight
1. Before you do anything, spread lots of newspaper out on a table. Clean off dirt from the outside of your pumpkin so it’s ready to go.
2. Carve the top of the pumpkin off. You’ll want to start about 7 inches from the stem and stab the top of the pumpkin and cut at a 45-degree angle so your top doesn’t fall inside the pumpkin!
3. Gut the pumpkin by taking all the orange gooey stuff and seeds out with a large wooden spoon. Or gross out your friends by doing it with your bare hands! Make sure the inside of the pumpkin is as cleaned out as possible.
4. Pick and print out a Star Wars pumpkin stencil PDF. Some will be fun and easy to do, while others will require some creativity in executing the design. That’s part of the fun! The more challenging designs may require some strategic planning!
5. Stick the design to the pumpkin using pushpins.
6. Using an ice pick, pushpin or small nail, poke holes 1/8-inch apart for the outline you’re using, creating a a dot-to-dot guide for the design.
7. Use a washable marker to “connect the dots” to better see where the cuts need to be made for the design.
8. Use a sharp knife to cut out all parts of the design that are BLACK. The adult may also want to use an X-Acto knife for the finer details. (For really fine details, get a pumpkin carving kit at a craft shop.) Work from the center of the design out. Keep in mind that the carving doesn’t have to be perfect — when you step back from your pumpkin you will be surprised how well it turned out!
* For more challenging designs like Darth Vader, the Imperial insignia, the Tusken Raider and others, you might want to try using a “scraping” method in certain areas by just removing the outer skin of the pumpkin, allowing the light inside to glow through.
9. Once the design is carved, gently wash off any of the visible marker guides.
10. Place a tea light candle, flashlight or glow-stick inside the pumpkin and stick your spooky masterpiece in the window to show off your design.
Side Note: Be sure to use your imagination when it comes to carving a pumpkin! You could even skip these designs all together and make a Mustafar Lava Pumpkin by leaving some of the guts in for a lava effect! Just gut most of the pumpkin, carve out mini volcanoes and place your Anakin and Obi-Wan action figures in for a sticky duel!